Sunday, December 13, 2009

My Blogging Experience

I had a blog before, but it was like a diary and I would write an entry every half year or so, just to express my feelings to myself. I wouldn’t even leave the entry to be exposed, I would always make the post into an exclusive one, one that only I could see. So this is the first time I’ve ever had a blog that other people could read, even though it may have been a few. And the blog posts were about my thoughts, but they were more than a diary.

It was hard to write under a consideration of an audience, and the possibility of being exposed to an enormous number of anonymous people. I think to have a blog that has an opinion would require a willfulness to expose oneself to the mass audience, and be able to embrace the various reactions (by their comments).
Before this blog I had a hard time understanding the nature of blog posting. I always wondered why people make blogs and write posts, when there is no direct profit from that action. Some posts are about political issues, and the analysis is very intense and evident that the person had put very much effort to it. Other posts are critiques about films and music, and they are also intense and full with effort, and sometimes even better than critiques on mainstream newspapers or magazines. Why do bloggers put so much effort? And it was hard to explain that it’s just because that that is their field of interest. I have a field of interest, but I do not do intense blog postings. After posting on the blog, I did feel a sense why people have blogs. People have blogs because they are willing to share their interest to the world, and because they are fascinated by the interconnection with the world through the internet, and the possibility of communicating with various people through the internet. I could say that these people have a more positive point of view of the internet than I do.

I realized that one thing that has made me a non-blogger is because I am not that much interested in other people’s point of view, of what others think of my opinion. Also I am not quite openminded to the internet itself, and I have to admit I am skeptical about the democracy the internet could bring.
However, I do think it is time to change my perspective. Sure, the internet would have problems, but still it is no doubt a useful tool to communicate with other people and get what I think out there, no matter how trivial it may seem. I think the blogging experience has given me more confidence about what I could contribute to the internet community.

No comments:

Post a Comment