Sunday, November 8, 2009

What Kind of Media Consumer am I? Between feeling left out and feeling overwhelmed

I go on the internet daily, listen to music everyday, and watch television from time to time. I could spend hours on the internet with always finding something to do, even though if that 'something to do' is just clicking on anything and going back and forth to various sites. However I wouldn't feel devastated becaused I missed a show or couldn't use the internet for a few days. I even feel that I should put my eyes and ears to rest from all the information I need to process(I'm just a consumer and don't make any contents except for a few blog entries, so the relationship between the media and me would rather be one way). But even so I would feel left out if there is somekind of new information, such as news, a new drama series, or a new on line site. That is, I have a hard time 'ignoring' information-even though it would not effect my life in any way whether I know it or not.

I felt this strongly when I saw the 'Blue Man Group' show. In the middle of the show the three Blue Men each held a set of pannels that had something written on it. The first pannel read that we could choose only one pannel to read, and we would not be able to read all three because of the limit of time. And then, every 7 or so seconds, the Blue men turned each pannel they had. And I couldn't help myself from trying to read all three pannels even though I knew I wouldn't be able to 'process' it all. And it wasn't just me, since everyone laughed at a funny joke written on one pannel. The Blue Man Group even pointed this out, as one of the pannels read that people have an anxiety to consume all the information around them, even over the limit of conception.
Was it because I was just curious what was written on other pannels? Or was it because it was just 'there'?

The Blue Men only had three pannels, but in real life, there are millions of pannels of info. Do I choose from the flood of information, or do I try to get all the information out there, or, am I half forced to see information(with ads popping out of everywhere, ads everywhere outside, television dramas on the internet and portal sites having info about everything crammed into one page)?
I feel that with the overflow of information, the ability to find out what you need efficiently without the pain of seeing other information is truly a great one. Otherwise we would be overwhelmed by the superabundance of information, and become passive receivers or just come to totally ignore it. But ignoring the information we get through the media, though it may bring the peace of mind, is not quite pratical. Using the information can be helpful whether it's the info on the internet and ads, or the entertainment we get from television.

1 comment: